Makes Me Wonder (But not in a Maroon Five or Kenny Chesney sort of way)

Overwhelmed. That is how I feel at times. Not to the point of depression (although my dad and I have discussed how depression has been a part of our family for generations) I don't think, but then again denial is usually first the sign that you have something. :-)

And . . . I do believe that depression is real and it is more of a "fix" than most believers will say. I do grow a little weary and annoyed at people who say, "just pray about it; spend more time in Scripture; etc. and everything will work out okay." Sounds good and all but I believe depression is more than just a "spiritual fix". There are too many physiological issues going on inside of us. I know that we don't tell cancer sufferers to just spend more time in the Bible and prayer and that cancer will go away, so I am not sure why we thing depression is less than a similar type of illness or challenge. (Enough rant on that.)

I know Jesus drew away from the crowds. I know he suffered and needed to be alone with the Father and because of His example, I know that is something I need to do as well. I enjoy being around people and I enjoy being away from people. Not because I don't like people, but because sometimes being around people is overwhelming. I think that is one reason I have enjoyed running and now triathlons is because it gives me some alone time. I have spent many hours on foot; in the water; and on a bike just enjoying being alone. And, I enjoy the time alone to pray and wrestle some things out with God. I have been known to do some of these things out loud while exercising: singing, praying, praising and even hollering at God. I have laughed and cried many times and have been angry and sad too while exercising.

I have wondered many times about many different things. Most of the time I wonder about my own worthiness. Have I done enough? Am I doing enough? Should I spend time swimming, riding and running when I could be ministering more? Should I spend money on things? Should I go on this trip? Should I be more intentional about this or that?

Am I doing enough? When will I ever stop struggling with the same sinful thoughts? When will I truly love my enemies (or even some folks that I don't put at enemy status, but I just don't like 'em.)

For many years I have thought about these things and I have learned that it is not based upon what I do or what I have done, but based upon what Christ has already done. I am thankful for this reminder mostly recently shared this past weekend as we celebrated Easter. It is hard to unlearn some patterns of thinking. In fact, I can't on my own, and thankfully I don't have to do it on my own. It just involves surrender. And for me, its seems like constant surrender many times a day.

I don't have to wonder if He really loves me, but I can easily fall into that trap of "am I doing enough, that He would love me?" My prayer continues to be, "Lord, teach me to surrender to you completely."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remiss in Posting

R. Clyde Hall, Jr. - The Great Compiler and My Friend

Mom Passed Away